Urban Assault Mountain Bike Race
Get ready to race your mountain bike on some of the best and toughest urban single track the East Coast has to offer.
The James River Park trails will give local mountain bikers and visiting riders alike a chance to test their skills. The rock gardens, short steep climbs, creek crossings, fast downhills, and twisty single track are both technically challenging and physically demanding. The hard work and mostly volunteer effort that has gone into maintaining and developing these trails make the Urban Assault an unforgettable MTB experience. Even though we have a Beginner division, we wouldn’t recommend this race for newbies.
Cost & Registration
Through March 31:
Short – $30 / Long – $40
April 1 – April 30:
Short – $35 / Long – $45
May 1 – May 11:
Short – $40/ Long – $50
May 12 – May 16:
Short – $45 / Long – $55
Includes: a cool event t-shirt, post-race beer or soda, and a free concert.
Entries are non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-deferrable, even in the case of an event cancellation and/or if you are unable to participate.
Packet Pick Up, Walk Up Registration & Bag Check
Mountain Bike Bundle
Save $5! Back again, we are offering a weekend of MTB events and you can save $5 off your total registration if you choose to do all three! Make sure to choose “The Mountain Bike Bundle” on the registration page. The Mountain Bike Bundle events include:
- Pro/Expert Men – Senior (19-29) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Men – Master (30-39) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Men – Master (40+) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Women – Open (12-99) – 20 miles @ 1:32 p.m.
- Single Speed Open (12-99) – 20 miles @ 1:34 p.m.
- Sport Men – Senior (19-29) – 20 miles @ 1:36 p.m.
- Sport Men – Master (30-39) – 20 miles @ 1:38 p.m.
- Sport Men – Master (40+) – 20 miles @ 1:40 p.m.
- Junior Expert (12-18) – 20 miles @ 1:42 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Senior (19-29) – 10 miles @ 2:40 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Master (30-39) – 10 miles @ 2:41 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Master (40+) – 10 miles @ 2:42 p.m.
- Sport Women – Open (12-99) – 10 miles @ 2:43 p.m.
- Junior Beginner (12-18) – 10 miles @ 2:44 p.m.
- Beginner Women – Open (12-99) – 10 miles @ 2:45 p.m.
* Start times subject to change
- Participants must be at least 12 years old to participate.
- Mountain bikes ONLY
- All riders MUST wear a helmet
- Please be aware that the trails used for this event are shared multi-use trails. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the IMBA Rules of the Trail.
- Any weather related decisions will be made as soon as possible. We want the event to happen but will always put the safety of our participants first along with our responsibility to prevent deterioration of our awesome trail system.
- Consumption of alcohol before the event is PROHIBITED
PLEASE NOTE: The Urban Assault course will be marked in the customary BLUE arrows.
The 2020 course will follow the James River Park System trails in a clockwise fashion, which is the opposite direction of what we have done the past two years.
The course will start and finish in the Belle Isle parking lot adjacent to Tredegar Street. Racers then will ride up the gravel road and take a hard right up to the Lee Bridge. Cross the bridge, veer right and follow the course parallel to Riverside Drive and onto the Buttermilk Trail. Continue west on Buttermilk to Reedy Creek.
Head down through the far left “chunnel” or culvert, up the rocks and then make a clockwise lap of Forest Hill Park. Cross the concrete bridge before heading back through the culvert. Continue west on Buttermilk and descend carefully down the rocks below the Boulevard Bridge. Cross the Boulevard Bridge and turn left to access the North Bank Trail. Follow North Bank up the wooden ramp and the Stairway to Heaven climb. Turn right to continue on the North Bank Trail back to the finish at the Belle Isle parking lot. (If you are doing the 20-mile course, you will head left and back up to the Lee Bridge and do another lap.)
To get an idea of what the trails are like, check out this course preview video.
Prize money will be awarded to the top Male and Female finishers in the Pro division*
*There must be a minimum of 5 competitors in each class in order to qualify for the cash. If there are fewer than 10 competitors, only the top 3 will be awarded prize money.
Awards to the top three finishers in each race category will be mailed out after the event.