Urban Assault Mountain Bike Race
Get ready to race your mountain bike on some of the best and toughest urban single track the East Coast has to offer.
The James River Park trails will give local mountain bikers and visiting riders alike a chance to test their skills. The rock gardens, short steep climbs, creek crossings, fast downhills, and twisty single track are both technically challenging and physically demanding. The hard work and mostly volunteer effort that has gone into maintaining and developing these trails make the Urban Assault an unforgettable MTB experience. Even though we have a Beginner division, we wouldn’t recommend this race for newbies.
Cost & Registration
Through March 31:
Short – $30 / Long – $40
April 1 – April 30:
Short – $35 / Long – $45
May 1 – May 15:
Short – $40/ Long – $50
May 16 – May 18:
Short – $45 / Long – $55
Short – $45 / Long – $55
Includes: a cool event t-shirt, post-race beer or soda, and a free concert.
Entries are non-refundable, non-transferable, and may not be deferred.
Packet Pick Up, Walk Up Registration & Bag Check
Mountain Bike Bundle
Save $5! Back again, we are offering a weekend of MTB events and you can save $5 off your total registration if you choose to do all 3! Make sure to choose “The Mountain Bike Bundle” on the registration page. The Mountain Bike Bundle events include:
- Pro/Expert Men – Senior (19-29) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Men – Master (30-39) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Men – Master (40+) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Women – Open (12-99) – 20 miles @ 1:32 p.m.
- Single Speed Open (12-99) – 20 miles @ 1:34 p.m.
- Sport Men – Senior (19-29) – 20 miles @ 1:36 p.m.
- Sport Men – Master (30-39) – 20 miles @ 1:38 p.m.
- Sport Men – Master (40+) – 20 miles @ 1:40 p.m.
- Junior Expert (12-18) – 20 miles @ 1:42 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Senior (19-29) – 10 miles @ 2:40 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Master (30-39) – 10 miles @ 2:41 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Master (40+) – 10 miles @ 2:42 p.m.
- Sport Women – Open (12-99) – 10 miles @ 2:43 p.m.
- Junior Beginner (12-18) – 10 miles @ 2:44 p.m.
- Beginner Women – Open (12-99) – 10 miles @ 2:45 p.m.
* Start times subject to change
- Participants must be at least 12 years old to participate.
- Mountain bikes ONLY
- All riders MUST wear a helmet
- Please be aware that the trails used for this event are shared multi-use trails. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the IMBA Rules of the Trail.
- Any weather related decisions will be made as soon as possible. We want the event to happen but will always put the safety of our participants first along with our responsibility to prevent deterioration of our awesome trail system.
- Consumption of alcohol before the event is PROHIBITED
PLEASE NOTE: The Urban Assault course will be marked in the customary BLUE arrows.
The course will start and finish in the Belle Isle parking lot adjacent to Tredegar Street. The course will follow down North Trail all the way to the parking lot prior to getting on the Nickel Bridge. The new connector trail that recently opened will be utilized in both the Friday night Time Trial and the Urban Assault. (We appreciate the hard work of so many to make this new trail design a reality!) When the trail ends turn a hard right on a trail leading to the Boulevard Bridge and cross the bridge.
Once across the bridge make a right turn on the Buttermilk Heights Trail. Continue east on the Buttermilk Trail all the way to Ready Creek. Make a right turn through the culvert and access the Forest Hill Park trail. Cross the concrete bridge and follow the Forest Hill loop trail around the perimeter of the park. At the end of this trail make a hard left turn and go under the culverts back to the Buttermilk trail.
Continue east on the Buttermilk trail until it ends. Continue parallel to Riverside Drive to the Lee Bridge. Cross the bridge on the coned off shoulder heading across the bridge on the left hand side. You will go down the second street on ramp and make an immediate left turn down a gravel road. At the bottom of the hill you will make a hard left turn and follow the gravel road back to the Finish where you started. (If you are doing the 20 mile course, you will go straight at the bottom of the hill and do the course a second time starting from this point.)
To get an idea of what the course is like, click here.
Prize money will be awarded to the top Male and Female finishers in the Pro division*
*There must be a minimum of 5 competitors in each class in order to qualify for the cash. With less than 10 competitors, only the top 3 will be awarded prize money.
Awards to the top three finishers in each race category will be mailed out after the event.