Urban Assault Mountain Bike Race
Get ready to race your mountain bike on some of the best and toughest urban single track the East Coast has to offer.
Important Weather Notice: If you love the outdoors like we do, then you know that plenty of fun and adventure can be had rain or shine, and Dominion Energy Riverrock (including the Urban Assault) is a rain or shine event! Please be aware, however, that in an effort to protect the integrity of the trails, the course will be rerouted due to the forecasted rain. Please read below for the details.
The James River Park trails will give local mountain bikers and visiting riders alike a chance to test their skills. The rock gardens, short steep climbs, creek crossings, fast downhills, and twisty single track are both technically challenging and physically demanding. The hard work and mostly volunteer effort that has gone into maintaining and developing these trails make the Urban Assault an unforgettable MTB experience. Even though we have a Beginner division, we wouldn’t recommend this race for newbies.
Click here for results.
Cost & Registration
Through March 31:
Short – $30 / Long – $40
April 1 – April 30:
Short – $35 / Long – $45
May 1 – May 16:
Short – $40/ Long – $50
May 17 – May 19:
Short – $45 / Long – $55
On-Site Registration May 18 – May 19:
Short – $45 / Long – $55
Includes: a cool event t-shirt, post-race beer or soda, and a free concert.
Entries are non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-deferrable.
Packet Pick Up, Walk Up Registration & Bag Check
IMPORTANT WEATHER-RELATED COURSE & EVENT UPDATES
PLEASE NOTE! To protect the trails, the course has been altered due to the weather forecast. Click here for the new course map and here for a written description. Please note that the course is now approximately 12.5 miles long.
Everyone, regardless of Race Category, will complete just one lap of this course. Due to this course change, no prize money will be awarded. If you wish to receive a refund rather than compete, please email us next week and we will process your refund.
Three more important notes:
- The start line for this alternate course is 7th & Tredegar Streets (the race still finishes in the Belle Isle parking lot)
- There are no water stops on the course
- The schedule has been condensed as follows:
Pro/Expert Men – Senior (19-29) – 12.5 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
Pro/Expert Men – Master (30-39) – 12.5 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
Pro/Expert Men – Master (40+) – 12.5 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
Pro/Expert Women – Open (8-99) – 12.5 miles @ 1:32 p.m.
Single Speed Open (8-99) – 12.5 miles @ 1:34 p.m.
Sport Men – Senior (19-29) – 12.5 miles @ 1:36 p.m.
Sport Men – Master (30-39) – 12.5 miles @ 1:38 p.m.
Sport Men – Master (40+) – 12.5 miles @ 1:40 p.m.
Junior Expert (12-18) – 12.5 miles @ 1:42 p.m.
Beginner Men – Senior (19-29) – 12.5 miles @ 1:44 p.m.
Beginner Men – Master (30-39) – 12.5 miles @ 1:46 p.m.
Beginner Men – Master (40+) – 12.5 miles @ 1:48 p.m.
Sport Women – Open (8-99) – 12.5 miles @ 1:50 p.m.
Junior Beginner (12-18)- 12.5 miles @ 1:52 p.m.
Beginner Women – Open (8-99) – 12.5 miles @ 1:54 p.m.
* Start times subject to change
Want to add some extra intensity to your Dominion Energy Riverrock experience? Try out one of our challenges!
- River Rumble: Run, Paddle, Bike (James River Scramble + Sierra Nevada Down River Paddle + Urban Assault Mountain Bike Race-20mile)
Mountain Bike Bundle
Save $5! NEW this year, we are offering a weekend of MTB events and you can save $5 off your total registration if you choose to do all 3! Make sure to choose “The Mountain Bike Bundle” on the registration page. The Mountain Bike Bundle events include:
Competition Schedule - Please see updated schedule above!
- Pro/Expert Men – Senior (19-29) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Men – Master (30-39) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Men – Master (40+) – 20 miles @ 1:30 p.m.
- Pro/Expert Women – Open (12-99) – 20 miles @ 1:32 p.m.
- Single Speed Open (12-99) – 20 miles @ 1:34 p.m.
- Sport Men – Senior (19-29) – 20 miles @ 1:36 p.m.
- Sport Men – Master (30-39) – 20 miles @ 1:38 p.m.
- Sport Men – Master (40+) – 20 miles @ 1:40 p.m.
- Junior Expert (12-18) – 20 miles @ 1:42 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Senior (19-29) – 10 miles @ 2:40 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Master (30-39) – 10 miles @ 2:41 p.m.
- Beginner Men – Master (40+) – 10 miles @ 2:42 p.m.
- Sport Women – Open (12-99) – 10 miles @ 2:43 p.m.
- Junior Beginner (12-18) – 10 miles @ 2:44 p.m.
- Beginner Women – Open (12-99) – 10 miles @ 2:45 p.m.
* Start times subject to change
- Participants must be at least 12 years old to participate.
- Mountain bikes ONLY
- All riders MUST wear a helmet
- Please be aware that the trails used for this event are shared multi-use trails. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the IMBA Rules of the Trail.
- Any weather related decisions will be made as soon as possible. We want the event to happen but will always put the safety of our participants first along with our responsibility to prevent deterioration of our awesome trail system.
- Consumption of alcohol before the event is PROHIBITED
PLEASE NOTE: The Urban Assault course will be marked in the customary BLUE arrows.
AGAIN this year, we will be following the course in the opposite direction than we have in the past. We have followed the James River Park trails counter-clockwise, but this year the race will go in the other direction. The course will continue to start and finish in the Belle Isle parking lot adjacent to Tredegar Street. Racers then will ride up the gravel road and take a hard right up to the Lee Bridge. Cross the bridge, veer right and follow the course parallel to Riverside Drive and onto the Buttermilk Trail. Continue west on Buttermilk to Reedy Creek.
Head down through the far left “chunnel” or culvert, up the rocks and then make a clockwise lap of Forest Hill Park. Cross the concrete bridge before heading back through the culvert. Continue west on Buttermilk and descend carefully down the rocks below the Boulevard Bridge. Cross the Boulevard Bridge and turn left to access the North Bank Trail. Follow North Bank up the wooden ramp and the Stairway to Heaven climb.
Head east on Kansas and take a right on Texas Avenue. Follow the North Bank Trail back to the finish at the Belle Isle parking lot. (If you are doing the 20-mile course, you will head left and back up to the Lee Bridge and do another lap.)
To get an idea of what the course is like, click here. (This is 2016’s course, you will be going the opposite direction in 2018)
Please see the weather-related update above about prize money!
Prize money will be awarded to the top Male and Female finishers in the Pro division*
*There must be a minimum of 5 competitors in each class in order to qualify for the cash. With less than 10 competitors, only the top 3 will be awarded prize money.
Awards to the top three finishers in each race category will be mailed out after the event.