Fish the James Virtual Tournament
This new event will have you hooked!
Spend this year’s Dominion Energy Riverrock weekend casting and catching with the Department of Wildlife Resources at the Fish the James Virtual Tournament! Grab your gear and hit the water as you try to catch catfish, bass or sunfish.
Think you can catch all three? Submit your photos with the date of catch to be entered to win our Slam on the James. Additional prize categories include: longest or shortest catch for catfish, bass or sunfish; best photo with your family or angling squad; most scenic fishing spot.
Cost & Registration
Through May 9: $20
May 10 – 16: $25
Includes an event t-shirt
Entries are non-refundable, non-transferable, and non-deferrable, even in the case of a race cancellation, postponement, event format changes, and/or if you are unable to participate.
Snap a photo of your catch, family/friends, or fishing spot with the date of your catch and share your images using the hashtags #fishthejames and #RockTheOutdoors and tag DWR and Dominion Energy Riverrock on Instagram (@virginiawildlife & @riverrockrva) or Facebook (@virginiadwr & @riverrockrva).
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- The Reel Deal – catch a catfish, bass, and sunfish species. Your photo submission must include the date.
- Best angling location/background
- Family photo
- Share your squad
- Longest/shortest catch for each species – catfish, bass, and sunfish. Your photo submission must include a measuring device.
- This tournament is open for paddle and shoreline angling along the public waters of the James River in Virginia, from the confluence of Cowpasture and Jackson Rivers to Hampton, Virginia.
- This is a catch & release tournament. All catches MUST be released.
- When fishing from a watercraft (Stand Up Paddleboard, Kayak, Canoe, etc.), participants must wear their personal flotation device (PFD).
- All ages are welcome in this virtual tournament.
- Participants over the age of 16 must have a current fishing license – to purchase or renew your license and learn more, head to our website at https://dwr.virginia.gov/fishing/.