Dominion Energy Riverrock running and biking races: COVID – 19 Event Impacts and Procedures
As we navigate our ever-changing world, our mission to inspire you to live an active lifestyle remains. Now, more than ever, the Sports Backers team wants to keep you moving, but only in a way that keeps our participants, volunteers, staff and communities safe and healthy. Our team has been working hard to revise our event plans to meet the current social distancing requirements so that we can get back to celebrating your active lifestyles through our events in the safest way possible.
With individual’s safety and transmission mitigation in mind, we have been working on new event modifications and procedures that will allow us to safely operate the Dominion Energy Riverrock running and biking events. These policies and procedures are based on current recommendations for COVID-19 safety protocols and are subject to change at any time.
And remember even if you are not participating in one of our in-person events please keep your distance and follow the CDC’s COVID-19 Guidelines while exploring the outdoors.
What Sports Backers staff will be doing:
- All staff and volunteers will be required to wear a mask while on the event premise at all times
- Cleaning and sanitizing high-traffic areas at the start/finish area and on the course at regular intervals.
- Reducing communal surfaces that encourage group or repeat usage
- Hand sanitizer available for usage throughout the event including at the start and finish area and at water stops.
- Post-race food, if available for your race, will be pre-portioned and packaged for each participant
Dominion Energy Riverrock Running & Biking Event Updates:
- All Dominion Energy Riverrock running and biking events will be held at Forest Hill Park: 4021 Forest Hill Avenue Richmond, VA 23225
- Each running race will have a 500-participant limit and will be strictly enforced.
- We will not be offering a beer at the end of any 2021 Dominion Energy Riverrock running or biking events.
COVID-19 Procedures at Dominion Energy Riverrock Running & Biking Events:
- Participants will be required to wear a mask when not racing. Masks are required in the start area, in start corrals and again in the finish area. All participants are encouraged to wear their masks through the start line and take it off once you are clear of the start area. Participants are encouraged but not required to wear a mask while racing on the course.
- The 5k, 10k, Half and MTB Time Trial races will utilize the same start line. We will have a socially distanced start corral set up, which will include distant markings on the ground denoting where participants should stand, in order to keep participants that are about to start separate from each other while waiting.
- The 10k and MTB Time Trial races will each have their own separate finish lines to minimize participant contact and mitigate large group gatherings. The 5k and Half Marathon, due to timing of the last start and the expected time for the first finisher, will utilize the same start and finish lines.
- For all races we will start small groups of participants at set intervals until all runners have entered the course. The number of people in each group and the amount of time between start groups will be set as we get closer to the event dates.
- All participants are required to bring their own personal hydration system to use during the race. We will have bottle filling stations at the start/finish area and minimal water stops along the course so that bottles can be refilled, but these will be self-served. For the MTB Time Trial and the Forest Hill 5k, there will be NO water stops on course.
- There will be no tents, tables or chairs at the finish line to reduce group congregation and staff will regularly be asking participants to head back to their cars upon finishing.
- Post-race food will be available for the half marathon ONLY and will be pre-packaged so you can pick up your package after finishing the race.
- Anywhere that lines could form, we will have distance markers to denote where participants should stand.
- If passing any participant on the course, please allow 6ft between you and the other participant or pedestrian. If 6ft is not available to you, please wait until you can pass safely.
- At the finish area, participants who have already finished will be asked to continue moving in order to limit any congregation near the finish. If waiting for another runner to finish, please make sure to allow for 6ft between you anyone else that is waiting and be outside of the finish area.
- There will be a limited number of porta-johns available for use at the start/finish area and along the course. We encourage you to use the restroom prior to arriving onsite at the event. Hand sanitizer will be available for use before and after entering the restroom.
- Due to the current number cap on persons gathering in one location, we are encouraging all spectators to spread out along the course rather than congregating at the start/finish area.
- All spectators are required to wear a mask when at the start/finish are or when spread along the course.
Per CDC guidelines the following groups are considered to be at a higher risk for contracting COVID-19. If any of these apply to you, we ask that you take the increased risk into consideration before registering:
- CDC high risk age threshold (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html)
- Those who are immunocompromised or undergoing treatment for an ongoing disease such as cancer, HIV, liver, or heart disease (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html)
- Those with moderate to severe asthma
Our policies and procedures will continue to be updated as guidelines are updated. These procedures are subject to change at any time and we appreciate your flexibility as we enter a new phase of social distancing races.